11-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #75
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Heh. Otherwise known as the "Life-Sucking Tube of Pain".

My dad has a whole bunch of hours in both the -A and -B models.

Once they stretched them into the -B, they were painted green camo and its nickname became "The Starlizard".

Trivia: The original 141-A could outclimb an F-4 through 10,000'.

Think about that for a second.

When they stretched it in the early '80's by adding a 13' plug in front of the wing and a 10' plug aft of the wing, they didn't have to re-rate the motors at all-- the -A was *that* overpowered.

One of the coolest things I've ever seen was a four-ship of 141-A's in diamond formation doing a high-speed low-level flyby during an airshow in the late '70's when I was a kid. That was pretty damn epic!

R.
When I was stationed in Korea, we took a trip to Cheju-do (Cheju Island) off the southern coast of Korea for some rappelling. We got bussed from our base up near the DMZ down to Seoul and then got on a C-141. I remember being freaked out when I thought they were lowering the tail in mid-flight. We weren't airborne troops, so why lower the tail. Then I looked out and saw we were on the ground and apparently had been for quite a few minutes. Softest damn landing ever. Of course not being able to see outside helps with that illusion, I guess.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
minn1914021.00
BMWGUYinCO4121.50