11-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #5129
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Nice camera, but it ain't got "all the power of a DSLR sensor". Maybe a cheap DSLR, but not a "real" one.

I just bought an iPhone 4S, mainly for the decent camera in a device that I carry all the time. The S95 and the G12 are cameras that are very useful when you can't manage the bulk of a good DSLR. The new EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) cameras are also worth considering, but the lens still ends up a little bulky vs. the P&S choices.

Dave
The EVIL cameras can still come in at about the same price as the cheap DSLRs, so I don't really understand the reasoning to look at one, unless you want the Canon one that has a ridiculous zoom range... And most, if not all of them don't let you shoot RAW.

I talked my dad into getting one of these because he didn't want to mess about with a DSLR and he is unwilling to learn how to shoot raw, it's just too over his head/doesn't want to learn. He didn't see satisfied with only 3x zoom on the little point and shoots, so it was the only logical solution. He loves the EVIL camera. So he's pretty happy with the decision. That's actually the second person I've talked into getting one... Canon should pay me...