View Single Post
      02-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscogypsee View Post
Iv'e searched this but am still confused. Thanx to anyone who chimes in.

I think I haven't found too much info maybe because I think that not many people plan on replacing the head unit since BMW's are "ultimate driving machines" and most 1 series owners aren't too concerned with audio since they're too busy hauling a**:thumbup:. I respect that, however i'm pretty anal when it comes to my audio and I don't want the 135 to sound of lesser quality than my last ride, so I plan to spend a lot of cabbage on the bump in the trunk. :headbang:

I've decided to say screw the idrive/nav and the usb/ipod cable hookup and throw in high quality (probably focal) speakers and some tru-technology amplifiers and maybe an eclipse head unit with an aftermarket usb cable hooked up to that. Of course i'm not too technical so i'll have to pay a good beat shop to do it, hey that raises another question, anyone know a good custom stereo shop in or near San Francisco? :iono:

So my main question is:Does anyone know if replacing the stock head unit with an aftermarket one will make the bluetooth unuseable? I know there's aftermarket bluetooth but I heard the BMW bluetooth is great quality, and since i'm already paying for it with the Premium pkg I was hoping it would still be useable. On my last car, Infiniti G-35, I replaced the stock head unit and that killed the bluetooth. Also, if anyone else will be replacing the stock stereo components with an aftermarket setup and wouldn't mind posting, i'm curious to see what kind of systems others are planning. Cheers.
Just do not order the premium sound. You will have better integration while improving radically the sound quality of the OEM HU by replacing everything after the OEM HU with aftermarket components (amps and speakers) than replacing the OEM HU.

Aftermarket DSP processor > amps > speakers added to the base OEM sound system will give you plenty of adjustment and sound quality options. Your budget will determine how much improvement you will get, however you will keep the OEM integration intact.
Appreciate 0