06-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #1600
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Regardless what has been said about specialized Corvette technical training for the mechanics (all good points), what is so exotic about the C8? IIRC, for now, it is using a Chevrolet small block with a transaxle bolted to the rear of the engine, which is not much different than the C5 - C7 design with the transaxle sitting between the rear wheels. Once the overhead cam V8 comes out, it's not like GM Techs haven't seen an overhead cam engine; GM has had plenty of overhead cam engines in the past and present. The suspension is a new design but nothing exotic, and they did drop the transverse fiber leaf spring design for a more conventional suspension, which is similar in design to other GM products; I'd say the transverse leaf spring design is actually more exotic. It has a software-controlled dual-clutch automatic transmission, which is not really exotic stuff these days and not for GM either.

The electrical system in new, which is probably where training is really necessary, but I doubt the system is much different than other current GM models, meaning the C7 Corvette was electrically a generation behind and is now "current" with other GM products and industry electrical system engineering SAE standards.

If you think about it, the GM vehicles that really are in need of specialized training to repair are the Volt and Bolt.

My thoughts at least.
X2.

While I have never been a big Corvette fan, now thinking differently, much of what I appreciated about the Corvette was if you either bought it used or kept it a long time you didn't need a highly trained/specialized mechanic and didn't need to be afraid of "worst case scenario". I buy a C8 and blow the engine, I can deal with it. I buy a Ferrari and blow the engine not even sure where to begin (can a local person rebuild a Ferrari engine or am I shipping the engine somewhere well out of state?).

I hope it is always able to be worked on by trained but not exclusive mechanics (if mechanics highly specialized training you will pay for it) and I see no value in them putting up special areas to work on them, this is a guaranteed cost you will pay for but unless the result is better (and it shouldn't be), I don't want to pay for it. I am especially interested in the overhead cam engine, which will add complexity, especially if there is a serious problem out of warranty but I still hope GM keeps things reasonable.