View Single Post
      11-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #352
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Seeing how well the AMG A45, RS3, etc. are selling, I'm pretty sure BMW will eventually give in and make their smaller UKL models available in full M guise as well Keeping M as a purist RWD-based only lineup as opposed to AMG and Audi Sport is laudable... But if there are more buyers willing to jump from their A45 over to a new 1M hatch (hell, they could call it M1 hatch at this point) than there would be leaving BMW for 'selling out', then they most definitely will do it.
Eventually, yes, they probably will. But the time to get on board and start the process was five years ago... not five years from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
I mean, at that point won't the entire lineup be all electric anyway so all this will me moot? [ducks]
Actually, this is a very legitimate point. I've touched on this possibility in the past as well. Optional AWD is a feature of all modern premium vehicle architectures, and when it comes to EVs, AWD is always done using multiple motors (at least one in front and in back). With such a setup, you can also accommodate FWD, RWD, and AWD. Now, most probably, all EVs will migrate to AWD eventually since it has packaging benefits (weight distribution being a big one), but it can still be tuned for a rear bias, including performance oriented enthusiast setups and driving modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E36 View Post
I assume the coupe and vert will remain RWD with the 40i designation.
The coupe (G42) will remain and will remain RWD, yes. The convertible (G43) has been canceled.

While there will be a G8x M2 (probably S58 powered, but we cannot rule out a high output 400hp+ B58 yet), there will be no I6-powered model below it. Instead, although it has not yet been confirmed, there will likely be a four cylinder M Performance model with at least 300hp to replace the current 335hp M240i.
Appreciate 0