Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRookie View Post
Glad to see this sub forum alive, please help!

Question for y'all, and I'll keep it short.

Travelling to Europe in 4 days. In the market for a camera that meets the following criteria:

- easy to carry, fits in pockets (I'll be mobile, walking around a ton)
- great picture quality (better than iPhone 6 Plus)
- sub $600
- shoots fast and is easy to use

So this is where the question splits off. Should I even invest in a camera at this point? Or should I just use my iPhone? I'm not photographer by any means, but I was thinking that if I'm going sightseeing all over Europe, I should have a decent camera to capture great moments and monuments.

If you all think I should get a camera, do you have any recommendations? I've been doing a fair bit of research and I cannot seem to decide on a particular camera. I'm stuck between the Sony RX-100 (mk1) and Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60.

Please help a fellow member out. TIA
Stop agonizing and go with the Sony and take it everywhere with you. Get a large enough memory card so that you can shoot at highest quality. See what happens.

The keys are going to be, will you use it and, if you do, then are your pictures noticeably better than what you usually do with your phone. You'll either love it, or it'll be a non-event and you'll be back to your phone. If you see improvements and love the results, then you'll be sucked in deeper and deeper and you'll be back here asking us about which $5,000 rig to buy.

If you don't get Sony, then buy something by Canon or Nikon. This is in case you get sucked into going crazy for photography and want to move up to one of the top systems. There are other makes, but Sony, Canon and Nikon stake out the deep end of the pool.

Dave