sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep

Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanmcree View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at multiple job offers at the moment. Some seem to be in Downtown area. Others are outside the city (Happy Valley, Beaverton, etc.) I also don't mind working outside the city. Any recommended smaller city/suburb near Portland? I just prefer to work near Portland because I have family who will probably visit often and I prefer to be 30 mins to an hour away from an international airport.

Cheers!
Happy Valley is a nice area, north of HWY 26 and less congestion as a result.

Beaverton is a great community, good schools, good local governance--has a reputation for feeling like an off-shoot of Portland-proper rather than its own flavor however.

What I'd strong consider doing is locating close to the MAX line as to enable walking toward a station and hopping aboard for a quick and convenient trip to downtown Portland, with also the ability to ride to PDX if need be. I previously lived in Hillsboro, Orenco Station specifically--I cannot rave enough about my experience there; across the street was a New Seasons (locally run grocer with a few locations around the area, and THE go-to, fantastic pricing, great local produce selection,) a Kitchen Kaboodle (again, locally run housing goods store,) and a number of coffee places. To boot it was also within a 3-5 minute walk to the MAX station which enabled a 35-minute ride into down-town.

Another area to look, south, is Lake Oswego--this is more an old feeling community, lots of housing options and a bit known as being the hub for executives and "was the" types In Lake Oswego is also one of the best race shops in the area, AR Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanmcree View Post
Yeah I've heard about that they pump the gas for you. No sales tax is a bonus
No sales tax, yes--however our income tax and property taxes (depending on county, likely Multnomah/Washington) can be rather, impressive.