02-09-2017, 03:28 AM   #4
bryanmcree
Registered
Rep

Drives: Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
Stay away, we have enough California transplants :P

Where in the PDX area will you be working? Downtown? North? East? West of the hills (i.e. Beaverton/Hillsboro/etc?)

Portland's housing market only just was bumped off as one of the hottest in the nation--inventory, both for purchase and rent isn't great, however there is a great variety of neighborhoods each offering their own unique feel. What I might recommend doing is making a trip up in advance to scope out the different parts of town.

Consider traffic flows too; you're open to living outside the city, fine, however note that like most cities traffic slows flowing in and out depending on the time of day (nothing unique) however the greater majority of residents are reliant upon the I-5 corridor, which is long-past capacity.

I was born in NW Portland and still haven't been able to leave, except for the obligatory time away for schooling and now much traveling to the Bay Area for work. I will end by sharing my favorite thing about PDX: a sunny day, driving south-bound on I-5 approaching the Marquam Bridge looking west toward the hill you really gain a sense for how the city was built "into" the forest, the building rising from the trees make for a stunning and entrancing view. I look forward to it every time I fly back in.

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at multiple job offers at the moment. Some seem to be in Downtown area. Others are outside the city (Happy Valley, Beaverton, etc.) I also don't mind working outside the city. Any recommended smaller city/suburb near Portland? I just prefer to work near Portland because I have family who will probably visit often and I prefer to be 30 mins to an hour away from an international airport.

Cheers!