View Single Post
      11-24-2006, 10:26 AM   #17
coaster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
It is just, as replicat stated, a sporty car, not a sports car (well said replicat).
You missed the point. A sporty car + more money turns into a sports car. Work with me here, although I understand it's hard once you have become a fan boy

Quote:
Perhaps, if all you care about is straight line performance, wouldn’t a used Mustang with a blown big block and drag slicks, while saving a ton over a 335i make more sense?
No need to go there. Recall I am interested in 4 doors and there isn't much out there other than your M3, RS4, IS500, C63. The 335i is not in this class but for $20K more you may get 100% of the M3 straightline performance and maybe 90% of its handling and interior refinement. And keep $20K in the pocket, pay less for insurance, taxes, license. So please stop with your poorly chosen Mustang comparo. You could have used the Corvette Z06 which could probably outdo the new M3 in every performance category (but not in practicality and interior). Let's call it for what it is and not for what we would like it to be.

Quote:
Sure I like to imagine how fantastic the new M3 will be; I have owned an E36 and E46 M and do believe Ms are fantastic cars. Fantastic all around, performance, track and straight line, comfort, a bit of luxury, looks, reliability, etc. Ms have an undeniable pedigree and each generation steps it up a notch. Sure BMW has gone more GT and less track car, but I am fine with that bias. They continue to push the envelope not only on performance but in price/performance as well. My “faith” I think is totally justified. If the car does not earn your faith no one will care anyway. Happy Thanksgiving back at ya.
OK, you are demonstrating that you are a true believer based on historical evidence. We get it. And you may even be right about the price-performance-quality tradeoff offerred in the new M3. On the other hand I am not yet a convert or a fanboy and would like to see where everything ends up before buying. I also have a little trouble buying a car with bugs still in it (visions of E46 M3). No need to commit to a car that nobody yet knows and its coming out in 2008.

Peace.
Appreciate 0