View Single Post
      11-23-2006, 11:28 PM   #9
coaster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
This topic has been beat to death there is no comparison between a 335i stock or hopped up and an M3 either E46 or E90.

Sure with a small investment you can get close to or equal in 0-60 (maybe even exceed some roll ons over E46 that favor lots of low rpm torque) but handling and reliability is a whole other game. To match either E46 or E90 M the 335i will need: brakes, tires, LSD (have fun doing “one wheel wonder” burnouts and corner exits with your drag racer 335i), springs, shocks, sway bars, functional aerodynamic body kit (probably will not be made…especially under car items), SMG (whoops you can’t get that in a 335i and probably not even DIY without changing the complete engine management system) and an improved intercooler. Even with all this you won’t have the steering quality nor feel nor the unsprung weight of the Ms. Lastly your turbos will not last very long. These differences are what you pay for in the M and I did not even get into comfort things such as much better seats or much better looks.
Slow down friend and consider switching to decaf. Are we being a little biased perhaps? We are talking $40K difference here between 335 and marked up M3. Not to mention insurance, license and tax differential. If money is no object why bother with the M3 at all? Step up to the $300K market and be styling The $40K differential is a lot of mula to buy brakes, tires and LSD (an absolute must) and have money left over to leave the M3 in the dust. I'll give you the reliability thingie though, no doubt.

We will also need to see what else is out there in the sub $70K market in a couple of years when the M3 sedan is out. Also don't forget the 335i will probably have the M-version or ZHP-equivalent version out by then or we may have the 340i or something like that. Meanwhile you have to accept the fact that by then smart 335 tuners will have managed to eclipse the straight line performance of your beloved E92 M3 with sub $10K tunes.

Unlike the faithful, the M3 will have to earn it for me. And it starts with the BMW stealers themselves. Happy thanksgiving!
Appreciate 0