swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

335i vs M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
I just read that the 4-door sedan M3 will not appear until a year after the coupe (4 doors are a must 4 me). That puts it out in the fall of 2008. Sounds like I'll have to wait a bit longer than I thought.

On another subject I just finished reading the tuner thread on the 335i and they are getting 0-60 times of 4.2 seconds with what appears to be simple and safe tuning costing around $3-5K. This is M5 territory!

The new M3 will have to be very special to deserve any markup whatsoever. Or BMW may have just shot themselves in the foot by introducing the twin turbo 335i.
This topic has been beat to death there is no comparison between a 335i stock or hopped up and an M3 either E46 or E90.

Sure with a small investment you can get close to or equal in 0-60 (maybe even exceed some roll ons over E46 that favor lots of low rpm torque) but handling and reliability is a whole other game. To match either E46 or E90 M the 335i will need: brakes, tires, LSD (have fun doing “one wheel wonder” burnouts and corner exits with your drag racer 335i), springs, shocks, sway bars, functional aerodynamic body kit (probably will not be made…especially under car items), SMG (whoops you can’t get that in a 335i and probably not even DIY without changing the complete engine management system) and an improved intercooler. Even with all this you won’t have the steering quality nor feel nor the unsprung weight of the Ms. Lastly your turbos will not last very long. These differences are what you pay for in the M and I did not even get into comfort things such as much better seats or much better looks.
Appreciate 0