View Single Post
      05-31-2016, 03:23 PM   #7
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I find it very hard to believe that the next generation 6 Series will be a two-seater. It seems to me that if they wanted a larger two seater, they would call it a Z6, Z7, or Z8. It also seems to me there is room to add an 8 Series above the 2, 4, and 6 while keeping the 6 Series models in the same class they are today.

Now, I would love to see BMW build a car like the Mercedes AMG GT as well, but I don't see that happening. The Z5 is coming of course, but it remains to be seen what they plan for a price-point and performance, especially the M model (S55 or S63?).
The 6er is a descendent of the CS/CSi/CSL series which is a four seat Gran Tourer in the classical sense. Even the E24 continued this philosophy as did the E63 and F12. With the latest 6er answering market trends for a more practical Coupe with the Gran Coupe which to all intents and purposes outsells the Coupe and Cabrio by a huge margin. I do not for see this market change.

The new Z5 is the first of models co-developed and pooled resources vehicle with Toyota. It will be a Roadster first followed later by a Coupe which will mirror how BMW place their X models. With the standard core SAV and sportier SAC models.
With the Roadster being Z5 and coupe being Z6.

If you check BMWs naming strategy. They copyright a multiple of numerical lines, especially in regards to emerging markets where they offer X5s with a letter or name before them. Its about renewing and protecting their intellectual property.

Here is the Toyota Twinster of the new Architecture.
Attached Images