07-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #20
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
i have to agree... I've been debating on the 2.8 or 4.0 for the 70-200mm for a few months now... really not sure what I wanna do. If I get the 4.0 I might be able to also get the lightly used 50mm 1.2L I've been lusting after, but then I'm afraid when I do concert shoots and such the f4 isn't gonna be fast enough and my 40d isn't the best in high ISO.

the downside is that the 2.8 is really fast but how often am I gonna need a 70-200mm lens for indoor concerts when I can basically walk right up to the guys I'm shooting.
I went through the exact same thing. I ended up with the 70-200 2.8 IS for two reasons: aperture/faster and IS because it's a heavy ass lens (seriously after holding it the 24-70mm doesn't seem so bad). To best honest I got that lens because I was hoping to get into wedding photography (just for fun of course) and it seems like it would be a good combo along with the 24-70mm.

For concerts, if you can get close to the stage I would go with a prime (50mm or 85mm). Obviously you won't have the zoom ability but the speed is more important for those events. Of course if your camera has good performance at high ISO then 2.8 lenses will do just fine. I shot a few concerts before and 2.8 at 1600 was adequate for me with decent lighting. However, I sometimes wished I had a faster lens (or high ISO cus my last camera only went up to 1600-XSi).