02-24-2022, 05:37 PM   #10
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by prei1978 View Post
That would be 14 fuel stops on the M440i for a total of about 2:40 hr, but 112 hours charging (8 hours per full charge) for the EV. It makes it that much harder to plan, especially because the first leg of the trip is from MA to SC for just under 1000 miles, and while I can plan to do it in a single day in a gas-powered car with 4-5 fuel stops, when I add the charging times for the EV I would most likely need 3 days.
You are thinking about it a little wrong. I of course don't know the specifics about your actual trip, but with an EV, you wouldn't charge until 100% when driving between destinations, unless it coincided with a stop for a meal or something where you'd be stopped anyway.

Putting in a generic MA to SC trip with mainly default settings on a better route planner (I modified the initial state of charge to 100% instead of the 90% default) yields a way different picture.

I get 3.5 hours of charging spread over 7 charging stops... 13.5h driving for about 927 miles. You can play with the site and add a meal or some other stop in that plan to make it more realistic.
Now I am not saying this is better than with a gas car, it isn't. It might not be ok for you, but it is not 3 days.

Also another alternative if ever this type of EV route is not ok for you is to buy the EV to benefit from it in your day to day and rent a gas car for longer trips where you don't want to deal with the public charging network/time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Paladin15632.50