03-07-2022, 06:07 AM   #50
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wknddrivr View Post
+1

I've had my E36 m3/4/5 for 5 years now. I got it by chance because my E90 was totaled and it was the only BMW I could find at the time that had a manual transmission in the area. I never liked the styling of the E36 prior to owning it, but when I went to check it out and took it for a test drive, I fell in love with how it drove. I've also come around on the styling, and its between that and my E39 M5 for my favorite design...Interestingly, they were both designed by the same guy, Joji Nagashima. You simply can have fun at normal speeds without going crazy and its just so enjoyable.

Since I got the E36, I leased a G30 530i (turned in, boring car), bought an E39 M5 (still have great daily), bought an E46 330xi (would be great but 200k miles and not well cared for so I've got a bad impression of it but it was cheap), and bought an E90 335i M-sport.

I still have all of those cars except the 530i, but the one that I enjoy the most and feel the most connected with is the E36 M3. The E39 M5 is a great all around car, but never gives you the emotional connection or road feel that you get with the E36. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to drive the E36 on a long trip...I've taken it from California to Colorado and my back was killing me...the same trip in the E39 M5 and I was way more comfortable.

Regarding reliability, the E36 has been the least troublesome out of all my cars. I have 160k miles, and aside from the clutch slave cylinder that also left me stranded, its been perfect. The Interior isn't the best quality, but aside from sagging headliner, I haven't had issues. I replaced the original headliner with Alcantara and it looks a lot more upscale with the black Alcantara headliner and Magma leather.

Cant say enough good things about the E36 M3, and out of the 4 cars currently in my garage, its the one I'd keep if I was forced to sell 3 of them.
I've got the exact same feeling you have about the E36 being a long distance cruiser. It's surprisingly bad at it

Although the Vaders look great, they're horrendous after 2 hours and I also start getting lower back pain. On top of that, you've got the S52 revving away at over 3k RPM at 70 MPH and it's just not a great experience.

Having said all that, you're exactly right about the driving experience. The car has so much character, which is something you cannot see on paper. In a way, it's also kind of like the M2C, it doesn't take itself too seriously. You don't have to rev the crap out of it to get the best out of the engine, but you certainly have the option to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
You got the best color, maybe a tie with Estoril, and those wheels just transform the M3 apart from the other wheel options in my opinion.

The E36 M3 was the first BMW I ever drove, which was just a test drive for fun as a teenager. A couple years later I got my first BMW a 2002 330i lease, I couldn't afford to buy it. Lol.

Ever since I've gone straight BMWs, for my daily, 10 to be exact, and on my third M Car.

I still really want an E36, and I should have pulled the trigger years ago when they were still reasonable. It's definitely one of my favorite BMWs of all time, and I only drove it once.
Estoril happens to be my second favorite color actually. Back when I bought the E36, I never thought in a million years I'd be able to find a Techno Violet, but sure enough, mine popped up on Facebook 10 miles from where I live. Also back then, the market for the Style 24 wheels wasn't as crazy as it is now, so I was able to add a square set. It goes so well with the car, I agree.

To be honest, I think you should still consider it even in this crazy market. At the end of the day, you can still find a good one for $15-20k (unless you want a mint one, then it's $20k+ probably). But you can knock that off the list and sell it if need be, you're not going to lose money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Great video. That blue euro - what color was that?

Keeping my 1999 AW - agree with all the comments, luckily my glove box stays closed and the door cards are fine. Only the slightest headliner sag - a few inch section above driver door. Car was always garaged which is a must with a E36. Jason did not cover 5spd vs 6spd euro. Do wish we had the 6spd in US.
I've had the glovebox sag, but I must be one of the few lucky ones that have never had it pop open on its own (knock on wood). Headliner is also in good shape, but door panel is a completely different story.

I'm surprised so many people have the glovebox issue as my car rides pretty stiff. It was enough to pop the front turn signal housing when I hit a pot hole
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT