Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Since I own a few different brands, I peruse and post on a number different automotive discussion groups.

What I've noticed is:

- This BMW site is mostly about modifying and customizing your ride.
- A Mercedes site is about how much things cost and where can you get it.
- A Jeep site is all about where to go to push the off road limits of your vehicle and how much problems and defects you're having.

Is this a correct assessment? Which other automotive sites do you hang out on?
I have previously owned a MB and glad that nightmare is behind me. I would say that your assessment is mostly correct w/these additions.

BMW - maintenance, modifying and customizing. The latter two have increased with the younger crowd thinking they can bolt-on and "tune" increases in performance b/c somehow BMW engineers don't know what they are doing, when in reality they are removing the built-in "reliability" and safety margins, but for them it isn't much of a concern b/c they do not have any brand loyalty and are chasing numbers and bragging rights.

In the past you would read of posts where a BMW owner was working in their driveway in the rain changing their brakes in preparation for an upcoming chapter driving event.

Mercedes - I found most of the owners did not know or want to work on their cars. Most posts, I read asked if the dealer would this or that like putting an AMG badge on their non-AMG car or similar nonsense. Also see comments about younger crowd above.

Jeep-no clue about the brand but would guess that you are right.

Am I generalizing about the younger crowd? Absolutely. Take a look at the classifieds if you don't believe me.

Last edited by omasou; 05-14-2019 at 11:06 AM..
GenXer1351.00