View Single Post
      02-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #3
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

These are interesting times. A total bifurcation of ‘haves’ and ‘have-nots’. A lot of luxury/upscale brands are doing well despite what’s happening. I think everyone is surprised about how well luxury car sales faired this past year considering the economic impact of the pandemic. We have a mall with a mini Rodeo drive in it housing stores like Tiffany, Luis Vuitton, Gucci, Hermès and people are waiting in line to get in since they have occupancy limits. It’s crazy!

Myself, I have a bunch of decent watches sitting on winders and have converted to an Apple Watch for its utility. I curse myself every time I look at it but it’s hard to argue how convenient it is. It helped that my Breitling started losing time and needed service when all of this started. I never sent it in for repair/reconditioning, just started using the Apple Watch and haven’t gone back. . . Yet.

But I can say that this past year has really made me reevaluate buying new, expensive luxury items in the future. I think the long term effect for luxury brands may be more impactful than the short term effect.