08-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #4095
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Just noticed...I'll be in your neck of the woods next Friday. Spending the night in Suffolk on my way down to OBX.

Haven't surfed in 2 years now...
holllaaaa! i don't surf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
i've heard some people have trouble focusing the 1.2...

and about the 85mm
I was talking to a pro yesterday and he primarily shoots the 85 1.8 and 135 2, and that's all he uses professionally for portraits.
1.2 definitely has back focusing issues on some copies. and what you need depends on your shooting styles. i have a 35L, 50 1.4, 100 2.8, and 135L...i find myself primarily using the 35 and 100 outside (as far as primes go), and the 50 and 100 inside. f/2 is a fantastic aperture at 135, but it's too long a focal length to be really useful in studio. as far as the 85 goes, i'm swapping my 135 with a local pro for a little while to see if i like the focal length...but i'll buy the Sigma 85 1.4 over the canon 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I've heard good things about the 50mm f/1.2L, but those who have it seems to complain that it probably wasn't worth the huge price difference between the f/1.4 (unless you need the build quality for extreme weather shooting).
build quality, balance on a gripped full size body, that extra little bit of aperture...they all make it worth the price for me.