Thread: Key West
View Single Post
      08-26-2022, 11:12 AM   #6
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

I wrote this up for a co-worker a few weeks back.....just some tips from someone who has been going down there my whole life. Enjoy! The keys are unlike any other place in America.

There are tons of boat charters down there and we’ve been on a number of them, but these two have been on the repeat list for us.
- Fury Cat – they do a variety of charter types, from half day, full day, snorkel, scuba, kayak, etc. They have a sunset catamaran tour with a live band and all you can drink which is a lot of fun. www.furycat.com
- Danger Charters – Pricey, but their sunset cruise is the best in Key West. They take you out on small, shallow draft sailboats and can go places some of the larger ships can’t. They also do a great eco-tour (both full and half day, I think) where they can get into the back country mangroves.

Bars/restaurants – there are a TON of places to eat and drink down there. You’ll find most of the chain restaurants along Duval. Some of the fun bars are along Duval as well.
- The Conch Shack: This is right on Duval next to the Hog’s Breath Saloon. It’s a walk up/carry out place but they have the BEST conch fritters on the island. They also do a good lobster roll, but the fritters are worth a visit.
- Garbo’s Grill: My absolute favorite place to eat down there. It’s casual and a perfect lunch spot. Their grilled fish tacos are amazing.
- Blue Heaven: Great atmosphere for breakfast/brunch. They have a large back patio area that has live music most of the time during the day. Great bloody mary here.
- Latitudes: This is the fanciest/nicest restaurant in Key West. The thing is, it’s actually not on Key West but on an island called Sunset Key which is to the north and west of Key West, although, it’s a 3 minute ferry ride across the water. You’ll need reservations and on short notice I’m not sure what they have open but if you want great food, great views (overlooks the ocean) this is probably the best spot to do it. Very romantic as Anna has pointed out before.
- Green Parrot Bar: I’ve never eaten here, but its my favorite bar to go to for the atmosphere. Lots of live music, it’s off of Duval (aka, not packed with tourists) and the drinks are solid.
- Dante’s Key West Pool Bar: Another good spot for day drinking by a pool. Food is fine but we go there for the drinks and atmosphere.
- Southernmost Beach Café: Good breakfast spot right on the southernmost beach. It’s on the quiet side of Duval and close to the famous Southernmost Buoy.
- Cuban Coffee Queen: Best place for hangover cup of coffee and something to eat. Great for lunch, too.
- Lagerheads Beach Bar: This is on the north end of the island, and is kind of hidden by a parking lot but it’s a nice, quiet beach between two of the larger properties. It also has a walk up bar which is nice.
- First Flight Island Restaurant & Brewery: This is a cool restaurant located in an old PanAm booking office. Great outdoor patio under big banyon trees, they brew their own beer and the food is a solid step up on bar food that you may get at a typical brewery.
- Fausto’s: This is a grocery store about two blocks off of Duval. It’s good for grabbing whatever you may have forgotten at home lol. Also a Walgreens on Duval, but Fausto’s has a lot more options beyond what walgreens does.
Tommy-G4493.50
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
nerdogray1304.50
Buug95917532.50
tgrundke314.00