View Single Post
      03-28-2024, 07:43 PM   #4
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

Plumbers putty is to help seal parts that are not threaded - like the drain to the basin (in the basin) drain to tub (in the tub), etc.

That looks like some sort of packing, may be plumbers putty. I’m not a plumber but I don’t think that is correct. That piece should be attached with a nut (like the one above or below) to the drain tail piece (threaded piece coming out of the sink). I would suggest filling the sink part way, then remove the stopper to flood the drain. Watch as it drains to see if there is any seeping. Even if you don’t see anything, I’d suggest calling a plumber or spending a few hours on YouTube looking at sink plumbing videos.

One other thought: the rust or whatever it is doesn’t seem to be right below the drain in your picture (assuming you didn’t move the paper rolls). So maybe there is some hardware around the perimeter of the sink which is rusting. That would be the stuff that attaches the sink to the countertop/cabinet. Clearly there is something falling straight down from the drain as well, so that needs to be looked after.
Mosaud19983979.00