View Single Post
      04-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #42
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 530e

Well...now that I see your dad's dimensions I would slightly modify my recommendations. I would suggest picking several SUVs (no minivans) that match his power and general car dimension needs and then go sit in them and test drive them and see what fits best for him.

If the Xi is too small, and if an Escalade is too large, then presumably one is looking for something in between. Sounds like a midsize SUV (for size purposes, something like a Merc GLE or BMW X5 size).

If getting in and out is potentially a problem look for a car with either a steering wheel that rises automatically (like my 530e does) or a seat that slides back (easy entry -- codeable in most BMWs).

My two requirements for any new car are a headup display (to keep my eyes on the road) and adaptive cruise control. I would find out what is important to your dad and customize recommendations based on that.

For example, if space getting into a garage is tight on the sides, power side mirrors might be important; If he likes to drive fast, horsepower and torque become important; if he drives at night a lot and his vision isn't as good as it used to be, a nightvision system might be important; etc. etc.

Ultimately, it comes down to what he wants and needs in a car, not what we want and like.

But, again, to me a minivan is like retirement...it is giving up on life.