View Single Post
      03-27-2014, 03:05 AM   #1
orangebang
Rep
Drives: 328i Xdrive GT

Installed Bavsound Stage 1 in my GT today, initial impressions

Just a bit of background. I spent the majority of my college life in a garage at home, and at work. I built a lot of hi fidelity car audio sound systems, incorporating and converting pro audio equipment into a 12 volt environment due to lack of worthy 12 Volt products, and even had a competition level sound system show car in the mid 90's. Pretty much every dollar I made, and all my spare time, went into that car. For me, there was no better place to enjoy my love of music than in an isolated/insulated sound pod on wheels.

Fast forward.

I have the standard Hi-Fi system in my 328i GT. Mids and tweets, center channel, rears, subs. FYI, I didn't get the HK system because it didn't impress me at the dealer lot, so i got mine without it.

I've had my car now for around a month, so I've had the opportunity to do extensive listening in the last 1800 miles (I get a lot of windshield time). I have an ipod with my favorite music, I have my favorite CD's, and I get HD radio. About halfway through those miles, I already knew I needed to do something about my limp dick sound system. There were a few things I knew I wouldn't do. I wouldn't sacrifice trunk space for an amplifier and sub, and I'm also totally over cutting up any parts of the car to jam in ill fitting speakers.

So enter Bavsound. (you can google it yourself, or search our forums here). The website is classy, the product looks credible, and the many videos available on youtube for self installation look well produced and professional. It was exactly what i was looking for (just like when I found out BMW made a 3 series GT).

After my inquiry emails and ordering questions through Bavsound's website (there isn't an option for a 3 series GT...just sedan and wagon) I find out that:

1. GT owners should buy the same speakers for the F30 sedan
2. I live locally to one of the owners of Bavsound, Jason, and was able to arrange an install of my speakers with him.

Like everyone else, I bought the speakers on the website, (just the front mids and tweets, and center speaker, as you have the choice to either buy the entire system, or buy a la carte) and had them shipped to Jason.

fyi, the main reason I only purchased the front speakers is that if a system is tuned right, directionally, those are the only ones I need to hear. There are plenty of resources available to support this, so i won't get into it here.

Now for my first impressions. The difference is like night and day. My goodness, it was like someone gutted the entire system and threw in a bigger amp and more speakers.

The biggest thing I have to credit Bavsound for is that their mids really tie the system together. The missing mid bass gap is now filled, and that punchy, hard-hitting "thump" that everyone likes to hear and feel (much like a kick drum) is now ever present. The speakers no longer sound boomy or hollow, and the tweeters hit the highs without sounding too bright, with much less "noise" if you will. I can finally crank up the volume without feeling like I'm listening to a louder version of the speaker on my cellphone. Upon showing me the extracted stock speakers, paper and tiny magnets were in abundance.

FYI, Bavsound's mids have magnets nearly the same diameter as the speaker itself, and the tweeters are made of silk, which explain the punchy mid bass and smooth highs I was talking about.

I really feel like the stock amp and subs aren't that bad now that the main spectrum of sound is full and clear. Bavsound's system really works wonders in filling in all the holes and making the rest of stock system sound better than it deserves, that's for sure.

In terms of sheer decibels, It's definitely loud enough for me, and had me smiling from ear to ear the entire drive home.

My $500 purchase (just the front speakers) without a doubt sounds exponentially better than stock, and is also a significant upgrade even if you have the HK system.

Last edited by orangebang; 03-27-2014 at 03:15 AM..
Appreciate 1