View Single Post
      12-15-2022, 10:48 AM   #47
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Not sure if you're saying this in jest or not. But you don't need $1M to have a sailboat. Having just crossed two years of owning my 28.5 footer, I can honestly say my overall costs of owning the boat has not been anymore than my motorcycle habit. I'll see how bad the costs will be when I haul my boat out next year for maintenance: cleaning/painting the hull bottom, inspection/replacement of the through hulls, inspection/replacement of the zincs, inspection of the prop/shaft, and inspection of the rudder bearing. If you are handy, much of the costs can be kept down by doing the work yourself. I just did some maintenance to my inboard diesel myself.
I had a 36' sailboat for about 5 years. I figure that boat cost me about $1000/month, all in. The next one will be in the 43'-46' range. The bigger the boat, the bigger the slip fees, insurarance, slip taxes, boat tax, hull cleaning, general maintenance (which of course I can do some myself), and so on. By the time I get there, guessing $2000/month should cover it all. That said, it was partly said in jest, but I don't want to be boat poor, either.