01-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #5868
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Thanks Reed. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I like the 5D2 much more than the 20D, especially for landscape and portraits. I miss the reach I used to get on the 20D, but I think my new 100-400 mm should help satisfy my telephoto cravings. Now, I just need to find time to shoot with it. I bought that lens in early December and I haven't been able to use it even once yet.
It is a hard lens to find a use for day to day. It's reach is a bit long, and it's minimum focus distance is long, so there really isn't much chance of indoor use.

That being said, once you're outside with it, the minimum focus distance doesn't really hold it back. there's actually great bokeh from it when capturing things close up. Besides. How close do you really want to get to some of the things you might be shooting with a lens like that

I know I was standing 10' away from an Elk with my 70-200, and was thinking, I wish I wasn't this close..... Meanwhile my dad is behind me with his point and shoot saying, "get closer Reed, I want the picture to show how close you really are" with a big shit eating grin on his face.

I don't need to get that close again, especially when it's antlers are almost as tall as me....