United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
the biggest disappointment was probably not having an M version of the e89m because they raced that car in GT3 (but with V8, different suspension, etc), and they won everything. That car was hugely succesful. If growth and profit were so huge (now for 8 years in a row), why not build a street e89gt3 version, commemorating that race succes? Just an idea.
Funny I've been saying the same thing for years where you even called it such a ridiculous idea due to "differentials not fitting"
Needless to say, I'm surprised to find you finally in agreement with me on this

A Z4 M along those lines would've been absolutely incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK
BMW would never sell a GT3 style car for the road.
No they couldn't have made an e89 m.
For that they always root around in their M parts bin.
And by opting for an x3 style rear axle (that is very similar to the e46 one), they also immediately decided that contemporary 3 series rear suspension stuff wouldnt work. E46 rear suspension parts (mainly the LSD) isnt/wasnt available anymore (at least, not in those numbers, you can only get refurbs now I think), so those parts werent on hand anymore in the numbers they would need them to be to create an M.
So they could have only made an e89 M if it wouldnt have an LSD, and I'm pretty sure that that wont happen ever.
And they're not going to start up a drivetrain fabrication plant just for a few e89 z4m possible sales. For that you need to sell in the 10k or 100k numbers (thats why they normally use m3 parts)

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread