View Single Post
      05-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '13 JCW

Complaining about M? How about a little perspective?

During his speech at the Annual General Meeting of BMW AG in Munich earlier today, Harald Krüger, chairman of the board of management, gave his report to stockholders. He talked about how 2017 was the company's 8th consecutive record year - and how BMW is the most profitable car company in the world. He talked about how all brands and model series are going electric. He talked about the BMW i4 and BMW iNEXT. He talked about 2018 being BMW's "X year," with the X3, X2, X4 and X5. He talked about the shift toward sustainable, digitalised mobility. And he talked about "two highly emotional vehicles" - the i8 Roadster and the Z4 concept - that were on display next to the stage.

But he never mentioned M Performance.

While it's normal to focus on things with a high degree of "WOW Factor" in an annual meeting - positive financials, market expansion and new models - this should also be a reminder that while we're arguing about the differences between M2 and M2 Competition lug nuts or how the M5 Competition magically appeared, we ought to be thrilled that a small division like M Performance still exists - and hope that 5 or 10 years down the road, BMW is still offering some really great choices for us. I don't know about you, but today I'm going to take a couple of hours off, find a curvy road and drive my M2 - just for the fun of it.

Last edited by Spa2k; 05-17-2018 at 10:07 AM..