View Single Post
      07-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #855
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Hm ... MotorWeek got 4.4 sec 0-60 and 12.8 1/4, so I am not sure how others where claiming 12.0 1/4. I recall Corvette C7 could only get 12.2 1/4 and it got a lot more tq and hp with only a few pounds heavier.
MotorWeek as of the past few years tends to post slower numbers. Most mags are showing mid to lower 12s@112-114mph for the Supra. That's to be expected as 200lb heavier BMW M240 automatics are a few tenths and mph slower and have the same motor and trans.

The reason these turbo motors can be so quick with quite a bit less overall power than a lighter and powerful C7 are the following:

1) The I6 turbo, especially the B58, has a very wide and strong powerband with abundant torque everywhere. It's power under the curve is what makes it so quick/fast while making less peak power. The Vette's V8, while very powerful, is naturally aspirated and depends on more rpm to generate acceleration/torque.

2) The B58 in the Supra is making closer to 330whp/360wtq at the wheels which equates to around 390-400hp/420-430tq at the flywheel. Like every late model turbo BMW out there, it's grossly underrated.

At the end of the day though, a base C7 should still be quicker/faster. The Supra will be closer than most would think, but it should still get slowly walked.