Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
It is; indeed (the 70-200/2.8). I needed a fast lens to take fast moving subjects from a distance. I picked the perfect lens for my craving.

I am still struggling with its size; thus place for improvement, sharp-wise, when I find a comfortable and stable way to handle it. But i'm really happy with the overall ease of use.

I didnt fully test it tho since I was also coaching that practice, but I had a lot of fun shooting with it. ...
You hold these no different than any other lens, with your left hand under the lens near the mounting plated. With the Canons we can manage the zoom with our index finger and thumb without moving the other fingers. Balance is important and can vary from body to body. If it's too front heavy, then move you left hand out toward the optics until you find the balance point. This is important and will reduce strain.

Make sure your stabilization is on (I hope you got that feature. Skimping on that feature is a huge mistake that many make). Your shutter speed, particularly while you're learning to hand hold, needs to be at 1/500-second and higher (raise ISO to get there). When you get more experience you'll be able to go as low as 1/100-sec for a stationary subject.

You may need to build some arm strength for holding this lens in position. Thankfully that means simply shooting a lot and paying attention to your results and trying to improve. I didn't get really good at hand holding my 500/f4 until I'd shot maybe 20,000+ shots. A little weight lifting, seriously, might be in order to speed things along.

This is a workhorse lens that you need to invest the time to get very comfortable with. It works for portraits, some landscapes, sports and nature. I'll never be without one in my bag, although I'm very happy with my f/4 version.

Dave