05-12-2016, 09:20 PM   #37
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Drives: F32 4er Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
But since there will be so little differentiation in EV capabilities compared to combustion engines - an electric motor is just like any other electric motor, not so with combustion engines - I think BMW will be in trouble. Not the best handling, not the fastest, not the prettiest - what will be their USP??
Agree on that, I already see that with normal cars, the technology has now advanced so far that there is already not much differentiation on regular cars (M, AMG etc. excluded).

The engines are more or less equally powerful (in the same model range), most car companies now have nice interiors, infotainment and assist systems.

Its already starting to be all about design and price.
With EVs it will be even worse.

Nowadays for nice sound there is AMG, for handling Porsche, Comfort: S-Class, bang-for-the-buck: GTR and so on.

Unfortunately BMW is slowly loosing their unique selling points like rear wheel drive (Active Tourer ), "Ultimate Driving Machine" >

The "M" in BMW that was standing for Motor does now also not say much, only downsized 4 Cylinders and even 3 Cylinders are not "cutting edge technology".
In terms of engines it seems like Mercedes are now starting to overtake BMW unfortunately.

But yeah if for the EVs only the design will the the most prominent selling point then BMW will have a problem judging by the i3. Why do EVs have to be so ugly?
In my opinion Tesla made the right choice to make the Model S look like a real car instead of a green econobox.