09-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #60
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtac View Post
I didn't see any specific problems... I think virtualization is pretty practical since its running windows program in coherence mode and ends up being better than if you were to just run it in windows, but if you could share some specific things lacking. I hear people say this all the time, but other than running specific programs what else is there?
Virtualization is good, and the applications that make it happen on OSX work well. But it is most certainly not "better" to run a native Windows application in a virtualized Windows environment on OSX. Running specific programs may seem minor, but that's the deal breaker for most businesses. Applications (custom or otherwise) need to run flawlessly, and need to do so with as little effort from the end-user as possible.

Virtualization works, but it's just an extra step for the end-user that makes it impractical. For a savvy user like you or I, it works well (I do it all the time). Giving end-users Macbooks and telling them they need to boot Windows on top of OSX to run specific applications doesn't work. ID10T errors all over the place.

Bootcamp is a valid option I suppose, but again - extra steps. Apple doesn't support Windows. I couldn't recommend Macbooks to a company which uses Exchange and Windows Servers on a Windows network. Nor could I be responsible for supporting Windows on those machines. If stuff breaks (which it always does when you're talking 100s of users), the machines need to be fully supported by the manufacturer.

I like my Macbook very much. The 13" MBP is my second one. Like I said, the quality is superior to just about anything on the market today. And OSX is nice and runs very well. There's tons of things to like about the Mac. It really comes down to software developers (from Microsoft to Bob's Software) creating and supporting more software on the Mac. There's lots of software already created specifically for the Mac which is fantastic (there are several Mac-only applications that I love), but Windows has exponentially more available. OSX continues to gain market share, so I think we'll see a trend toward this in the future.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo