06-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
I am chasing a bit of an annoying pre-detonation issue while using a tune. I am running Dinan now (car came with a Dinan tune). I have the Dinan bored throttle bodies (previous owner installed these). When I run my Alpine tune (91 or 93 octane stage I files) with 91 octane fuel, I run into bad low RPM pre-det and some higher RPM pre-det. This happens even when it is chilly out. If I run 94 octane fuel, the pre-det is significantly reduced while running the Alpine tune.

The Dinan tune (re-installed it a few weeks ago) has been pretty free from pre-det. One time it did briefly while accelerating hard at low RPM. High RPM has been fine. I have been running 94 octane and the next fuel-up I will try it on 91 octane.

I am not sure if the Dinan throttle-bodies need to be considered while tuning and I also do not know for sure if the Dinan code takes them into account.

I do not suffer from pre-det when using the stock 241E programming. I have never had a code thrown by the ECU regarding knock or fueling issues.

Richbot: did you replace your injectors or have them serviced?

Given I can walk to work and I have a spare car, I am considering pulling the injectors and having them tested just to remove that variable from the equation. Newinfo.tis implies that it is easy to take the rails out as a complete unit. Is this the case?

Any other avenues that I should explore?

Cheers,

Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...

Last edited by Scharbag; 06-05-2019 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0