View Single Post
      02-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I just did these out of an excess of paranoia at 114,000 miles while I wait for the Karbonius manifold to come and the salt to go

T30 or T33 for the fuel rail bolts, I used a T30 but it seemed a bit undersized

You'll want some lube, Deatschwerks sent PTFE lube, for the seals. This is to keep from twisting them when isntalling, they should slide in easily. Fuel's a lousy lubricant for rubber and if you're jamming it in, you probably need to re-lube or risk a leak from the seal twisting when you install

I'd recommend safety glasses for this job. Some fuel inevitably gets flung around if one is stubborn coming out of the rail, and fuel in your eye is no fun

Flip the rail over on its back so that the ports are facing up, that way less fuel leaks out during changes

I would do passenger side first, then driver's side, and after swapping passenger injectors, cover them in plastic so any jangling on them doesn't foul the tips. You have more degrees of freedom moving things around with the passenger side. You do'nt have to disconnect any fuel lines, there are several flex fittings in the hose/rail asssembly that can rotate easily, nice design really.

I used q-tips to clean out the ports, keeping gunk out of them completely was impossible after 114k of accumulated crud so I cleaned as best I could to make sure nothing got between the oring and the port wall. Then I vacuumed each one

Also, you can remove the oil separators for better access, but don't have to. And make sure the injector harness clip wires are in the correct spot before clipping them on, they can go flying if they get out of the groove and while they're magnetic, they're impossible to see...

trying to think what else, it's pretty straightforward and easy.

Last edited by Richbot; 02-24-2019 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 5