05-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #27
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Real estate really isn’t as good an investment compared to the stock market. The market, without really trying will consistently beat a house purchase. Plus the days of buying a home, expecting to live in it the rest of your days, making owning a home in retirement, a much less likely scenario. It’s better to rent since you aren’t straddled with house repairs and other expenses each month. What you pay is what you pay and you aren’t concerned with the value of the home fluctuating.
I agree with what you're saying, but I'm not sure how it pertains to this conversation/OP's situation. Already having a mortgage and now wanting to take on car payments doesn't leave money for investing in anything. The mortgage is already there, as is the debt. I'd focus all my money on getting rid of my debt before making investments, whether on cars, stock, or whatever else. All that invested money won't do any good in a recession when the market tanks again sooner or later. But a roof under my head absolutely will, even if I get laid off unexpectedly and my investments suffer.
c1pher4661.00