On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Bob's Militia is relevant, but not as a liberator. The problem is Bob and his subordinates feel it is their patriotic duty do bring arms to bear against the federal government for any slight. We have seen this in the last decade. That mob rule might work fine in the deserts of Nevada or the mountains of Montana but not in a nation of 350 million people.

It's actually a little bit insulting to the rest of the Constitution that for some reason the 2A has been put on this pedestal as THE amendment that guards our democracy. It's patently false. Our country, like the Constitution is about the sum of its parts not just one piece of it.

The ironic thing about all of this is those state militias (national guard) would be the first to quell an armed uprising under Title 32 long before the federal government got involved. Those state militias Madison wrote so fondly about would be the ones called upon to enforce the law.

You do not have to consent to everything the government does nor does it need your consent on everything. That's why we are a Republic. Good luck arguing where that line is. Do you get to bring arms against if 51% of it you don't consent? 42? 60?

The last time this blew up it was the states oppressing people and the federal government who said stop that. The states were the oppressors and the federal government was the liberators. Odd.
To be clear, I have not advocated the proposition that armed resistance is the remedy of first resort for any governmental action. It is clearly the remedy of last resort, and would mean the end of the Republic. You make a fair point about the wackjob mentality of some hard core 2A militia guys, though I think that is just the fringe, and I don’t find it to be a persuasive counterpoint to what I have been saying about the intrinsic value of the 2A.

By the way, thanks for the civil discourse on a topic that so often finds it lacking.

Last edited by CigarPundit; 06-14-2019 at 01:28 PM..
Jockey1834.50