View Single Post
      12-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #102
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The N63B44M3 is the low output version of the newest revision of the N63 - the N63 TU3. It is only being used in the new X5 and X7.

The N63B44T3, on the other hand, is the high output version of the N63 TU3. It debuted in the M850i and, as I noted above, is slated to make its way to all of the V8 models throughout BMW's lineup by next year (replacing both the low output B44M3 and any TU2 versions still in use, and beckoning the change from any remaining *50i models to M*50i models).

So, the successor is the more powerful engine. It is not clear why BMW didn't just give all of the V8 models introduced this year the higher output engine from the outset.

As for what comes after the N63 TU3 - that is anyone's guess. I suspect we have at least 15 more years of the BMW V8 engine, and perhaps even 20 or more. No doubt they will make incremental updates to the N63 during that time. However, a brand new V8 architecture - specifically one that would see the engine displacement shrink to 4L (and presumably the physical size to become more compact as well) - as was once rumored, seems less and less likely as the era of the EV commands more and more of automakers' powertrain R&D.
Here's the TU3 doc. If you look at the comparison of TU2 and the two TU3s, it's pretty obvious the M3 is an in-between version that should have been much easier to ramp up. After all, G15 is a low volume thing, G11/G12 is a slightly higher volume thing, while there are hundreds of 50i G05/G07/G30s made every day.

And if BMW sticks to its traditions, I expect lots of early adopter G15 owners having to go back to their dealeships to have their engines fixed or replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf N63TU3 Engine.pdf (1.72 MB, 3381 views)
mkoesel7505.50