Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
you should still be able to get 8+ frames in RAW as long as you don't have that one image processing controller cranked to full (forget what it's called any my camera is packed up nicely for my drive today...)

you know the one in your main info screen at the bottom right corner that's supposed to help your exposures? if you have that dialed up to 3 or full, it slows the 7D down a lot.

Ive debated on getting the 32gig card, just seems like a lot of memory, i never use much over about 9gigs at a time, and i almost always have my laptop with me to unload pictures onto. I guess i should grab one sometime just to have some spare memory. (of course i mean retire one of the old cards and use the 32gig as a main card.)
With RAW plus jpeg I fill the buffer and have to wait for it to catch up. Shooting jpeg only, the 7D's buffer never fills. With RAW only it'll fill, but after giving me a lot of shots. RAW plus jpeg is around 30MB per image.

On most outtings I'll shoot 2 to 6GB, but occasionally there'll be lots of action (like eagles fighting or courting) and I'll fill the card, shooting in lots of bursts. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen on every outting, but I need to be ready the next time it does. I've had days where I've shot 2,000 in an hour.

Before every outting I reformat my cards. I only use them for storage if I don't have access to my laptop.

Dave