07-06-2015, 11:15 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
We all know that it's a subjective, personal thing. Numerous, endless discussions about this topic at car forums.

True that it's nostalgia related, as technology inevitably evolves, improving situations.

But there is that peculiar physical and psychological aspect: rowing through gears with an MT feels more like as if the stick is an extension of your arm (and actually it is). Foot and arm operating in close harmony, as if you could touch - and stay in control over - the mechanics mounted onto the chassis. Getting you a little closer to experiencing the car's pulse (movements, bumps, clicks, vibrations, etc.). As a matter of fact, you got a more direct contact with the machinery - less 'sterile' compared to 'sending a message' to the machinery with a mini-moment paddle click or by delegating the whole shifting job to the robot for comfort purposes. And I don't mind that we can never match the speed, shifting perfection and consistency of the robot. No prizes to win. I consider it a benefit that one got to 'work' the machinery, that it requires more involvement. Though I fully understand that others will reply that AUTO/DCT is way more comfortable to operate.

Actually, I don't mind hearing someone gasping for breath when (s)he's singing a song or playing an instrument. I don't mind the artist and audience generating additional sounds that do not feature on the music score. To some extent all those additional sounds (noise?) could be edited out of the recording to achieve a more 'pure' sound, but I don't like that. For, often natural sounds feel more recognizable, more comfortable to connect to.

On the other hand, I do not mind embracing technology. If we adopt the same idea set out above to all sorts of assistance (warnings, DSC nannies, ABS, hill hold, navigation, comfort access, light and rain sensors, cruise control, high beam assist, power/memory seats, etc.) one could consider that you should leave it all off or out (if possible) to have a more 'pure' driving experience. Paradoxically, I don't mind those things (gadgets and gimmicks ?) to be on board and active. But as regards transmission, I'm an old skool MT aficionado.
I love technology too. I remember guys complaining about fuel injection in the 80s.. I loved it and still do. I'm a big fan of VTEC, VANOS, direct injection, distributorless ignition, cylinder deactivation on big motors. I love the power and efficiency that technology gives us. I always loved German and Japanese motors because they used technology over cubic inches to make their motors more powerful, lighter and more efficient compared to the American stuff of the day. I love asymetrical tires and even dual compound tires like the Supersports. I love turbos, intercoolers, water injection, compound rotors and all those things. I think the hill hold is awesome because it helps take away a scary thing for those that want a manual but live in San Francisco or other hilly town. I love automatic wipers because they allow you to focus on driving and shifting and not controlling the wiper speed as rain changes. I love all of this technology. When the first dual clutch automatic was available in Audi and VW GTI, I ran out and bought one before BMW even had one.

I assume that you don't mean that I'm afraid of technology but but just to clear the air, I am a big techno-geek about cars. I spend hours on the toilet pouring over Car and Driver and looking at every spec ....weight, compression ratios, brake design, grearing ratios, final drive...etc etc.

But when the technology takes over so much of the driving...I don't see the point. ABS for example activates in an emergency situation but the transmission is taking away the shifting and clutching rhythm that I enjoy.

I was a teenager in the 80s when synthesizers got really big and so many musicians would lay down perfectly timed digital beats. They were way more accurate and could play faster beats than humanly possible. There were even a few good songs made but you can't replace the drama and visual spectacle of a rock drummer hitting the skins. You could see his hands and sticks move as they were about to strike the skins and they gave you a visual cue of the impending beat that could not be reproduced on a synthesized keyboard. So if I prefer seeing a real person beating the drums over a digital soundtrack, it does not mean I don't embrace technology! I just find one more enjoyable than the other. I also find more enjoyment strumming a guitar than playing Karaoke. Yes, the Karaoke machine plays better than me but it's not as fulfilling. I guess the bottom line is that I find some technology gives value and supports the key mission and some takes some away.
Appreciate 1