Colonel
Rep

Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
If I were BMW I would very quickly bring to market a 3 series size EV
Alas, they can't.
In the worst possible way.

BMW hasn't invested into lithium-ion battery supply chain, like Tesla did (doubling world's existing capacity for batteries, no less!), so they have to rely on Samsung's (or LG's, or Panasonic's) largess to provide adequate supply of batteries for mass production cars. Which they can't.

Instead, BMW invested and committed to CF shell design, which works well for cross-pollination across entire BMW car range (lighter components for future M3, 7-series, etc), but is relatively expensive.

So now it has cool, but expensive, CF body on aluminum rails. That works well for small runs, but not mass production.
They rely on suppliers for batteries, which works well for small experiments, but not mass production.

And they have Tesla Model 3 and Chevy Bolt, that are moving the EV price point into mid-30K range, where BMW can't compete and remain profitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
I'd also focus hard on making several much faster versions of the i8 with proper engines in. If it's a problem calling it an i8 call it i10v8 whatever. The i8 is beautiful but I can think of 10 cars I'd buy before an i8 in that category, despite none of them as pretty.
Yep.
"i" brand should not be just pretty and environmentally friendly
It should have the same sports DNA as the rest of BMW!

Give us i3-s, and i8-s (with S55 engine, instead of whatever MINI engine is in there).
If you can't make them cheap, make them awesome!

a