United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
Not really. Intake and exhaust mods that help the car "breath" better will almost always show more impressive gains on turbo/supercharged engines, which move higher CFM's to begin with compared to N/A engines. Factory turbocharged engines are usually tuned very conseratively compared to N/A engines also, allowing intake/exhuast mod's to provide more of a "bang" compared to those same mods on a N/A motor.

I think the (misguided) point someone was trying to make about cold air intakes doing "more" for N/A engines was in regard to the temperature of the intake air, which is a different measurement than the volume (CFM) of air entering the engine. Drawing significantly hotter air into an N/A engine will almost certainly wreck more havoc on power and drivability than the gains provided by sneaking in a few extra CFM's with an open-style "hot air" filter. The idea with the CAI on a N/A motor is to get more air but also cooler air into the engine (or at least air that's not any hotter than what comes into the OEM intake system). This usually shows some reliable power gains on a N/A engine. Whether it's worth the money and hassle is of course the owner's discretion.
I completly understand where you are coming from but still dont understand....I have read 4-5 websites that say if you have a turbo car CAI will do next to nothing. Why would they feed false information on there own cars? With or w/o a turbo it is still letting the car breath just as easy...in a turbo car air is forced into the cylinder and on a N/A motor the piston sucks the air in...even with the turbo forcing air in if you want more cfm's in the cyliner raising PSI is how you do that...maybe i need to take physics again
Appreciate 0