View Single Post
      07-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #9
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep

Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Then they should allow low-weight cars to be built.

I do not want nav, dual zone, power seats, camera, lane assist, adaptive suspension, etc...

That could be a lot of weight savings for those that agree with the weight ratio principle. Let people option some weight out of the car.
You may not want it, but just like the dying manual transmission in the world of M cars - the market dictates what BMW invests into. Sure, they could option the AC, nav, etc. (except for the cameras, you have to have them by law in the USA now) but that means more R&D money into doing so; do the ends justify the means? No. Hardly anyone will strip out their luxury performance sedan from the everyday comforts in pursuit of lightweight, so why would BMW invest millions of dollars into R&D for it? Hell, the 991.1 GT3RS had literally only a handful of people that opted for the AC delete worldwide, and that's a track focused car. I severely doubt many would do the same on an M car with bad resale value as is.

All that being said, I welcome hybrids in the M division. Full EV's aren't my thing in terms of having fun, but when I think of hybrids I don't just think of the Prius - I think of the 918, P1, LaFerrari, etc. If BMW can figure out a way to keep weight down from batteries (which will eventually happen as battery technology improves) while maintaining the fun nature of the car, I've no doubt M fans will be happy.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3