12-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #72
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
I wouldn't even DD a FR-S if I were single, let alone if I had kids. They are just 0 fun unless you are completely wringing them out. And even then they're too lacking in power for my tastes.
After 10 years in a MkIII Jetta VR6, followed by 3 in a GT-V6 Hyundai Tiburon (ugh) and 5 in a slow-poke V6 C230 (curse you 7-speed slushmaster), the BRZ felt cheap, tinny, and slow. Reasonably fun to toss, but the NB Miata felt better there, to me. But what really killed it was the harsh industrial-blender sound at (necessary) high RPM, and that torque dip. Right when the revs get into the meaty bit of the powerband and you expect something to happen, nothing does. "Did I accidentally put it into 6th? Or reverse???"
People call it "rev happy" and "peppy" - but the SR20 in my old SE-R was way more fun, smooth, and better-sounding than that. Even though it only put out some 140hp.
If they could have pulled the engine back for true 50/50 distribution and given it a (much!) updated Yamaha-head 4A-GE-type engine (now THAT was fun and zingy, loved to rev, & sounded sweet across the range) they might have had something.
Also, my then-3-year-old daughter told me I needed a bigger car after squishing her into the back of the Tibby (again.) I didn't like it, but could squeeze my 6-foot self, hunchback-like, under the hatch in that. Legs splayed sideways if I had to "sit behind myself."
Back seat of FR-S made the Hyundai feel like a limo.

Full disclosure - I didn't own the MkI MR2, but got to drive one for about 24 hours around Boulder, CO in High School. Except for running out of poop at 105mph in the thin air - that little bugger was a blast!

Scion dealership "sales" rep never came to help me, so I just tried FR-S seats and shifter. Went down to Subaru for an actual (underwhelming) BRZ drive.

Did I mention I LOVE the 1'-er?

Last edited by tjswarbrick; 12-19-2016 at 03:06 PM..