View Single Post
      10-21-2020, 05:28 PM   #23
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Thanks for all the responses, appreciate them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Also, why not something in between a 991 and Mustang... ie a GT350
100% would do GT350, but must have 4 seats, must be a convertible and must be naturally aspirated. 1 from 3 or i'd have one in Avalanche grey or voodoo blue already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
Sounds like you are already compromising with the 991 as what you really want is a 997.

To that end I bought a used V8 F-Type convertible and enjoying the heck out of it.
F-Type seems tons of fun but see strict requirements above.

991 Vs 997, I mean we could go on forever right? What I want is an Alcantara interior, I want sporty and the sea of leather reeks of GT too much for me. In saying that, I have an absolute hate on for 997 bumperettes, I am australian and do not have them there so the cars look odd to me here. Other issue is unless every box is ticked on the interior, such as leather dash, man it's a spartan look vs the 991 isn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
as others said. life is short. you don't want to eventually get your supercar at 50-60+ years old

I mean realistically a 997 GTS is not going to lose a ton of value right ? just think of it as 'moving money' rather than 'losing it'. You will get a large chunk of it back on sale. .
No supercar for me, have never desired them as they are just too much car for the road and if I am track daying it i'll just get a Caterham.

Yes i do expect the 997 GTS to continue appreciating but taxes in, i'm well over 100K for one here which is a bit silly when a 991 S is more compliant, handles better, is "faster" etc, I mean I really like them but man 110K? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
I’m sorry to hear of your loss.

Wait a year. It doesn’t seem like the right thing at the right time.
Appreciate the thought, dad was a hard man to like, had few friends including family. TBH he never should have had kids, he was just not suited to the responsibility, same with marriage TBH.

Waiting a year is likely the proper choice but a) likely means I miss the next driving season again, after missing two already and I am growing impatient, b) I fear prices rising further and C) I have very peculiar requirements for a 911, must be PDK, must have Sport+, must have PSE, must have black interior, must be white, red, blue or yellow. No exceptions OTHER than I seem to be fond of 997's in certain greys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
A few years ago I was looking seriously at a CPO M3. After some hand wringing I just didn't feel comfortable spending that much for a used car so I bought a brand new 2016 Mustang GT performance pack and customized it. I won't say I didn't really enjoy the Mustang the four years I owned it however it was certainly not an M3.
More info please, what M3 were you cross shopping it against? I have rented 3 GT vert Stangs and thought they made a great noise and the engine was just perfect as it likes a few revs, i mean it's no race engine but she's not all torque. I feel the M3 is more DD than the stang, may be tough to DD the stang in winters here but not impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I agree with the ‘life is short’ comments too, and that’s how I’ve lived my life for the most part. But the rest of this year and next year are going to be unprecedented times. I’m deferring a planned car purchase myself
Wife is 100pc leaning that way, she will not get in my way but I can sense her tension. It's probably the wise choice, I am just getting a bit impatient, been searching for so long.

One further wrinkle i forgot to add, there is a chance we move to Australia, not a high chance but a chance, and these cars are DOUBLE the price there so no way it's ever going to happen there.

Last edited by Alfisti; 10-21-2020 at 05:34 PM..