View Single Post
      10-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #14
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

We have the money, when i say that I mean we can definitely afford it but this is not spare change. I also have an inheritance coming (RIP old man) which will cover this and then some but I was shopping well before my dad even got sick.

You ask a good question. a) it's just a lot of money, period, I come from "nothing", as in pay check to pay check as a kid so I baulk at big spending that is not a house.

b) the cost of a third car, insurance and repairs adds about what, $3K year ongoing vs a compromise car i DD.

c) just the hassle of a 3rd car, wife likely get annoyed and need to winter store at father in law's or pay for storage (one garage and wife wants hers in the garage in winter)

d) Pandemic hassle, sanitising it etc and wife will be massively freaked out as we have locked down hard here

e) I like the car, really do but I kinda wanted an alcantara interior (hence 997 GTS) but they've gotten stupid expensive for what you can argue is a 15 year old car that performs worse than a 991 S. Still, whilst this thing is a bright colour and optioned 20 inch wheels with factory spacers, it still looks a tad GT for me. Just a tad mind you. Maybe wondering if i just wait for a sporty looking 997.2 "S" but the price won't be much different, MAY save 5 to 10K.

f) Do i want the hassle of a nice car? Always worried about it? Get a 2015 to 17 stang, maybe add after market wheels, do a little suspension work, add a GT350 front end and DD it. Pay half the cost of the 911 and save on the running costs of a 3rd and have less hassle. But it's not special is it.