View Single Post
      10-21-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I have a deal in principle (PPI scheduled) on a 991 "S". Very decent price for the spec and condition. Been shopping for 2 years, was hoping for a 997 GTS but prices are stupid.

I am really struggling here, for half the price I could get myself a 2015 Mustang GT, add $5K or so to customise the look a little (tastefully) and sharpen the handling and drive it daily instead of buying a car for twice the price and still having the expense of my DD (insurance, repairs etc).

It's also, I dunno, A PANDEMIC, who knows where the economy goes or where my job goes or if the wife slows down again?

I'm 44, living in a dull city half way across the world, need something to brighten my outlook but even that plays into it as I won't be able to drive the 911 for 6 solid months dammit.

Second guessing myself here, been churning on it a few days now. You guys ever been in a similar situation and did you blink or push through?
I'm literally in the same mindframe as you, but I'm 10 years younger

My dream car/end goal has always been a Porsche, and my dream Porsches are the 981 Spyder or 997/991.2 GT3. Not counting the .2 GT3, we're talking $80k minimum, which is well out of my reach at the moment considering the most expensive car I've ever bought was my used E92 M3 at $40k.

I start questioning whether I'd enjoy a GT3 or Spyder TWICE as much as my E92 M3? I really don't think so. If anything, I prefer to have multiple cars and have difference experiences (6 vs 8 cylinder, roadster vs coupe, maybe NA vs turbocharged) than just have 1 awesome car, that will most likely be driven once or twice a week max. Not to mention, how comfortable will I be driving such an expensive car? I'm already super careful with my well used E92 M3 that's probably worth 1/4 of that right now.

On top of that, I think 2020 has also brought some perspective in my life. Things are fragile. I'm at the point where I'd rather look at other things than just cars. because at the end of the day, they can really act like anchor boats.

P.S. I sure do miss traveling.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
b4hand661.00