10-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #17
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919 View Post
The laws about not going into neutral are based off of old carbureted IC engines that were more likely stall out. If one of these engines were to stall while in neutral and moving you will lose power steering and braking and likely crash.
That doesn't mean that they don't still exist on the books! For many years into the modern car era, Rochester, NY had a law on the books where the vehicle had to be preceded by a person carrying a lantern to warn people the vehicle was approaching...obviously, things were slower then! Neutral on a single speed transmission car like the i3 doesn't present the potential problems of maybe not getting the manual transmission back into gear, or probably other things (engine braking and maybe overpowering the brakes on a long decent come to mind when coasting - especially on older cars with drum brakes), but that still doesn't mean it's a good idea. I don't know what the i3 would do if you were rolling forward and you inadvertently put it into reverse, but it may or may not be pretty - it would be one hell of a power spike!
Appreciate 0