View Single Post
      11-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #55
strohw
Captain
Rep

Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

While I enjoy music, I find myself more drawn to the technical aspects of audio. Maybe not the exact replication of tonality as I feel that's highly subjective but the recreation of the sound stage and imaging. Because of that I enjoy building my own home audio systems.

My last one was an open baffle setup with a pair of PS220 and 4 15W700 running off ~900w with all processing done through a computer. The room was 12x14 with a combination of absorption and diffusion with over 80 hours into measuring, placement and EQ. I ended up with something that I was very happy with for stage dimensions and imaging.

I ended up moving recently to a new home and it has no suitable room for a home audio system so I won't build another one as long as we live here. The room and how it's designed is easily more important than than the selection of speakers or drivers. So I moved over to headphones and made due. I'm using a set of Focal Clear on a Schitt stack with some EQ. I feel the tonality is very good as is the imaging but the sound stage is drastically less involving than a home setup. Going from something with a stage width of 12-14 feet to just a little outside your head is blah.