11-06-2020, 05:48 PM   #20
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep

Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Brought my ($1500/pr) KEF LS50 Meta over to one of my clients today. As you see he already has ($8k/pr) KEF Reference 1, so the Metas had their work cut out for them.

House system consisted of a Hagel H590 integrated amp; with a Bluesound Node streaming into one of Hagel's coaxial-digital inputs. The H590 has a great DAC, and the amp has plenty of current. It didn't have any problem at all driving either pair of loudspeakers to maximum output.

Some thoughts on the speakers...

Metameterial Absorption Technology is legit. It significantly improves detail and transparency.

OF COURSE anyone would pick the Reference 1 as they clearly are superior performers, but what really strikes the listener is how similar these two sound. Both lean neutral and accurate, with a strong capability to decouple the performance from the speakers disappear sonically. The Ref1s just do it on a much greater scale... both in a larger soundstage, and larger output in the bottom octave.

This is going to sound like a sale pitch but, honestly the LS50 Meta are a ridiculous value. My client didn't hesitate to order a pair of LS50 Meta, and a pair of the active LS50 Wireless II.
Attached Images