2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep

Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
On the bi-amping front, I did try it with a set of Carver TFM-25s feeding first a pair of Mirage M490s and then a pair of B&W Nautilus 804s. If I were to be a bit blunt, it wasn't that big of an improvement. At first, I thought there was but I really think it was more psychological.

To me, true bi-amping would require the passive crossovers to be taken out of the path from the amplifier output to the actual driver and the crossovers applied at the line level side before the signal hits the amplifier.
First, I agree... bi-amping is a small improvement in the best of cases... and doing so from an AVR definitely isn't the best of cases. However, if someone is already buying an AVR with this capability, it really only costs speaker cable and banana plugs... and those are in abundance for me personally.

As for the topic of active filtering... There's definitely an improvement in better damping and much less phase distortion by removing the passive filter, but there's other factors at play that need to be mentioned. There's absolutely still a real improvement in the load the amplifier sees when bi-amping a passive crossover loudspeaker; plus there's straight-up more power. Those are both always a good thing in my book. Another thing the novice (not speaking of you) should know is speaker designers manipulate the passive crossover when doing final "voicing" of a loudspeaker. So if someone removes the passive crossover network, they just sorta went back to a raw loudspeaker that would likely require extensive tuning just to get back to the performance of the original product. I personally never recommend doing this unless you're a hobbyist speaker builder.