View Single Post
      06-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #18
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
To each his own, but from my perspective I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want all of this tech in their homes. I will confess I have a Nest thermostat mostly because we used to have two homes and I liked being able to pre-cool/heat before we arrived. I have sonos play 1 but not the voice activated ones. I refuse to have Alexa or any similar products in my home. The idea that anyone is listening in or building a profile of me and my family strikes me as too far reaching. I get it, there are already profiles built on my browsing history, on line purchases etc. Loyalty cards and the list goes on, I don't have any loyalty cards FTR. And I don't think anyone is actually monitoring every Alexa conversation but the principal strikes me as too far reaching. I wouldn't let the government into my home without a warrant, why the hell would I let some private company.
I was faced with the same quandary about getting a smart thermostat. In the end I decided to get a Honeywell unit. While it still reports up to Honeywell's cloud server, I figure Honeywell isn't as potentially dangerous as having Amazon or Google in my house unchecked.