View Single Post
      09-17-2022, 10:13 PM   #40
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

From a technology standpoint, there hasn't been as big a leap between 2012 and today as there was between 2002 and 2012. Just think about cell phones, for example. My iPhone in 2012 was pretty capable, as were my iMac and MacBook Pro (which I still use). I think we still have the same TV as we did in 2012. But go back to 2002 and think about the cell phones, internet access, and computers back then. Huge difference.

I'd love to have my 2001 E39 now. It was so superior to my current MB GLC300 in many ways that really count. Way more fun to drive. Cars are not getting better. They're getting neutered. And that's sad.

All that is my way of saying I haven't got a clue how things are going to look 10 years from now. There may be new leaps in technology like there were between 2002 and 2012, or there may be small steps in existing tech.

I do think that driving will become worse and worse. Self-driving cars are just an evolutionary step towards fully controlled roads where you can't choose a speed or route. You simply punch in your destination and take a nap until you get there. Maybe there's an opportunity there to open a theme park where people (Gasp!) actually pick a gear and steer their cars around a track.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede